The Boys

The Boys

Monday, August 18, 2008

Crab for Supper?


The first week of August all of Fred's siblings, their families and his parents gathered in Nags Head, North Carolina for a family reunion. If you ask my boys what their favorite part of the reunion was (Jared kept calling it a graduation for some reason...ha, ha) they will say, "CRABBING!"
When Fred and I were first dating he told me the story of going crabbing with his Nana and Poppy when they were in North Carolina. While sharing that story he told me that you can put a crab to sleep by rubbing between their eyes. Fred thinks I am slightly gullible and likes to tease me and make me believe things that aren't true. I thought that him telling me that you can put a crab to sleep was one of those times, but it turns out to be true.

To catch a crab you use a raw chicken leg as bait and set it in a trap or tie it to a string. Then once it is caught you gently put your foot on the crab to hold it still so that you can rub between it's eyes until it is "asleep." We caught at least 5 that day we went and the kids had a blast! We were all able to hold them once they were "put to sleep" and prayed they wouldn't wake up while we were holding them! We didn't keep any of them, which I was pleased about. I prefer not to see my food moving around before I end up eating it! Call me crazy!!!


The boys were so impressed with their cousin Kylee because she wasn't at all intimadated about holding a crab! My boys thought girls were afraid of things like that! So thank you Kylee for clearing up that misconception!!!

It was wonderful for Fred and I to have the boys experience one of Fred's favorite memories that he shared with his dad and grandfather. Thank you grandma and grandpa for making that possible.

2 comments:

JAMIE said...

this looks like so much fun!! You look fantastic, Dori!

Cheryl said...

I'm glad Kylee was able to bring a new perspective of "GIRLS" to the boys! I wish you could pop over to catch some frogs today! I'm so glad crabbing was a success!