The Boys

The Boys

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Our Vegas Trip

So, I have kinda resisted taking the kids to Las Vegas the previous times Fred has invited us to tag along on 1 of his business trips. I didn't think their "art work" in that city is always appropriate for my 4 sons and I was imagining the many questions that would get asked, and I would have to answer! I also envisioned walking along the strip constantly telling the boys, "Don't take that flyer!" But I am really glad we joined Fred this time.
I drove with the boys while Fred took a flight. The boys were really good on the drive and did a great job helping eachother so I could focus on safe driving. We arrived in Vegas in the evening and met Fred outside of a restaurant at Mandalay Bay to get the hotel key so we could get settled. (He had to work so we didn't get to hang out with him that night until late). Right outside the restaurant is a series of sculptures placed in various places on the wall from floor to ceiling. These statues are "body parts", a foot or a face, ect, and there was a certain female body part displayed (in the chest region... ahem...). As we walked by, Tyler looked up and while shaking his head said, "That is just wrong!" And I thought... you won't think that for long! It is funny because Jared, Nate and Derrick were totally oblivious to the sculptures. They were more fascinated with the fountain surrounded by sculptures of singing frogs!
Vegas in the daytime was a blast with the boys! We went swimming at our hotel, walked and explored all the various themed casinos and ate yummy food. The one afternoon we got to spend with Fred, the family bought the yummiest $12 cup of you-pick-your-multiple-flavors ice cream I have ever eaten! We just wished that Fred could have joined us more.
Last funny story from our Vegas trip:  One night we walked around and caught all the outdoor shows (Mirage Volcano, Bellagio water show and the Pirate show). It was about 10:30 at night by the time that we made it to Treasure Island for the Sirens of T.I show. We were fortunate enough to be right in front of the sirens boat (the girls boat... so I guess fortunate for Fred), and during 1 part of the show the Pirates launch an invisible cannon at the Sirens ship. The result... a lot of hot and REAL fire!!! Derrick was sitting on my shoulders so he could see better and all I felt as soon as the fire exploded from the ship was uncontrollable shaking followed by a very LOUD and terrified scream! So... he spent the rest of the show in my arms with his face tucked into my shoulder! The lady standing next to me when the fire erupted looked at at Derrick and said, "Oh he doesn't like that at all!"
So, Fred... you were right! We did have a fantastic time! Thanks for making it possible!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

"I'll tell ya what else is just wrong!" us not seeing each other in so long and me seeing these pictures and immediately thinking...wow the boys have changed so much. I can barely recognize your baby Derrick and Jared looks so much older with that haircut! Glad you had a great trip...how fun.

Laura said...

You've got quite a crew of handsome boys! Taylor and I both looked at the pictures and said "that's Derrick?-wow" As Cheryl said, it's been too long! Fun to see pictures of you and your family. Looks like you had a good time.

Kelly Evanson said...

what a fun trip!! life with 4 boys!! my youngest is officially running around and can get as wild as the 3 oldest. we love soccer too!! it was fun seeing all your updates!!