The Boys

The Boys

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Brings New Meaning to the word "Courage"


Tyler has been through a lot since Christmas time and I am so amazed with how well he has handled it. In December he went to a pediatric endocrinologist because he has been growing at a "snails pace" and we were starting to get concerned. After a few bone scans and some blood work the doctor discovered that there needed to be more testing done for his growth hormone.
Unfortunately for Tyler that meant a six hour hospital test that resulted in 17 vommitting episodes and some very unpleasant memories! But we did get results that have allowed us to press forward in a postive direction! His brain is producing plenty of growth hormone but his liver is not converting it into a substance called IGF. What does that mean? That means the growth hormone is pretty much useless and he will continue to grow at a very slow rate. Solution: He is now receiving injections at home twice daily of IGF. The doctor said that it will take about 1 year to really start to see results and he will need to do it until he stops growing. And that will be when he is between 16 to 18. But with these injections he should be able to "catch-up" on his growing and continue at a more steady pace.
The shots took some getting used to for Tyler and Fred and I but now we are doing well. He is so brave and so trustful. He knows that this is what is best and is enduring it admirably. Please pray that the insurance will cover at least some of the cost. Otherwise, the injections will be about 2000 dollars a month.
Through this whole experience we are learning so much! But most of all, each day we grow more proud of our courageous son.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

One of these days we will actually get to chat on the phone and get caught up. Thanks for this update and we will continue to pray for Ty!!!!! What a strong guy. I'm glad he is adjusting well and I can't imagine having to give or receive 2 shots daily. We love you all!!!!

The Bogle Bunch said...

I'm glad you got to the bottom of that whole thing. That was a lot for a little guy to go through. How is the book going that I gave you? It helped me a lot. But I'm sure it was like "duh" to you. I'm a little slower than most people.

David and Natalie Reheis said...

Trudy told me about that yesterday. I keep thinking about Tyler and am glad to hear he's being so brave! Our prayers will be with you guys!